Currently, the RSS physical Adult Day Program is closed by the mandate of the New York government. However, we are still open and continue to serve our clients and members through very robust online and phone programs.
Hearing that your family member or good friend has dementia can be scary. Dementia can take many forms - Alzheimer's Disease, Lewy Body Syndrome, memory loss due to Parkinson's disease as well as advanced age and physical frailness.
For over 20 years, the RSS/Reverend Tieck Adult Day Center has been devoted to those 60+ that are challenged by memory loss.
We are proud to have long-term relationships with many of our members who come to us for five years or more. Unlike other programs that exist and include people with major mental or physical challenges, the RSS Adult Day Center is laser-focused on working with people with dementia. We are located in the Bronx, in Riverdale at 2600 Netherland Avenue, 10463.
Due to Covid-19 we are now offering innovative programs and caregiver support online.
At RSS, we see the person who comes to our program as an individual, and not as the diagnosis they have.
We don't define our Adult Day members in terms of their problems or limitations; we define them in terms of their humanity. We dedicate ourselves to the wellness of the whole family. Our goal is to help our members with dementia reduce social isolation and boredom that can affect them tremendously. We are also committed to helping them enhance or maintain their level of independence in the community, heighten their well-being and self-esteem and help them to enjoy life!
RSS Adult Day is as much for caregivers as it is for our members.
Caregiving can be tremendously isolating and stressful. And lonely - caregivers often feel they are doing everything on their own. Since COVID-19, the stresses are even more than before. We are here to help you feel less overwhelmed by the decisions that need to be made. Let us be the link to help bring order out of chaos.
RSS Adult Day Program is part of RSS - Riverdale Senior Services.
Riverdale Senior Services has been in the Northwest Bronx for over 45 years. The Adult Day program has a strong connection with the larger RSS Center and all the activities that go on at the Center. These include dance, art and exercise programs, lectures, and other special events. There are also additional support services available including additional social work and counseling support. Currently, we have a wide array of programs that are online and offered to anyone 60+ regardless of location.
What Makes the RSS Adult Day Care Center for Dementia Special for Their Members?
- Small group programs created specifically for each person's needs, strengths, and backgrounds. With COVID-19 there is now even more emphasis on one-to-one support for the family and person affected by memory loss.
- Programs both geared towards those with early memory loss and those in more advanced stages of memory loss.
- Activities include exercises, arts and crafts, music therapy, movement therapy, and discussion groups
We Support the Entire Family
- Free caregiver and dementia family support. Casework assistance for services and entitlements such as home care. Casework support comes directly from the Director of the RSS Adult Day Center
- Help with navigating complex systems including health insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid
- We work with caregivers at any age - spouses, and children or grandchildren who are caring for a parent or guardian.
- Support groups for caregivers
- Connections with key organizations - CaringKind, Alzheimer's Foundation of America, Parkinson's Disease Foundation, Lewy Body Dementia Association, and many others
How Does the Online Program Work?
- RSS works with people through the phone and online through computers, smartphones, and tablets. Online RSS is primarily using zoom, whatsapp and Skype to work with our members. No matter what technology you have, RSS will find a way to connect with you.
- The use of assistive technology can also be an asset to many of our members - it is helpful to those that can't see or hear well.
- On-Demand Programming - We will soon be putting videos and other programs online so that you can have access to them whenever needed - at any time of day or night.
- There is no fee or contribution needed to participate in RSS programs for adults with memory loss.
- Participation open to anyone in the 5 boroughs - Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island
- Hours: Program runs from 9 AM to 5 PM
An Interview with the Director of the RSS Adult Day Program - We have updated this article since COVID-19. If you have read the interview, we encourage you to read this again.
To Get More Information:
- Call Audrey Swanson at 718.884.5900 x16
- Email Audrey at email@example.com
- Fill out the Form Below