RSS Response to Covid 19
As we have for over 45 years RSS is committed to serving older adults here in the Northwest Bronx.
Our physical center is closed right now, but the programs and services that make RSS so vital to the neighborhood (whether you're a member or not) are still in place. Here's what we've been doing since NYC was asked to self-isolate:
- Social work services are offered remotely by our licensed social workers and counselors. Our grief, caregivers, and savvy solos groups have continued without a beat - more needed than ever as the emotional issues related to isolation grow in impact. We will be adding a group focused solely on the emotional impact of Covid 19 on the lives of our members.
- Food - Food insecurity has been a huge challenge for older adults since March. RSS has been at the forefront here working closely with the city to ensure that older adults get the food they need. We have literally made thousands of calls and emails related to food issues. Our elected officials turn to us when older constituents are running into food issues.
- Our Adult Day Program for those with Dementia continues offering group as well as one-to-one activities. This truly innovative program also acts as a key support for caregivers many of whom are balancing working from home and caring for a loved one.
- We personally check in with our members and other older adults in need. RSS has made over 3,000 health/wellness and check-in calls not only with our members as well as other adults and the families in the community get the medical care or testing they need
- Our programs continue and reduce social isolation - in less than a month we converted many of our key programs to online programs including art, exercise, meditation. We have also provided a wide variety of videos done by so of our most beloved instructors.
- Communicating vital information to the community. RSS is seen as an important link to the outside world for older adults and their families. We cover and send out information on everything from how food can be purchased, changes in Medicare eligibility, to ways to entertain yourself at home.
"I really like what RSS is doing during this pandemic. In addition, info re: grocery stores and restaurant deliveries are great. You all need to be applauded as "front line" workers!! - Karen
"RSS is doing a “mitvah” for all you have done in terms of making sure members are safe and have food. RSS staff are “truly professionals” and are so available each and every day." - Arthur
"Even though I have been in NJ with family, I feel so connected seeing friends on the zoom classes. I participate in the exercises every day which keeps me active. They are fantastic and I am grateful for RSS. I feel RSS should publish a “magazine” for what the center has done. Never did I feel so good in a pandemic as when I took the Bliss fit class." - Pat
“Thanks for all that you do for the seniors in this area! It's so important not to feel isolated while isolating!!” - Betty
“You are doing an incredible job. It's a joy to be a member.”- Sandi
“Thank very very much!!!!!!!!!! for all this info. you are wonderful;muchas gracias por todas esa info. y magnifico videos.” - Davia
“Many thanks for the excellent job you do during this pandemic.” - Rose
"Words seem inadequate to express how important it is to connect & have some normalcy at this strange time. Thanks for all you do at RSS!!"